Thursday, May 3, 2018

DIY Mineralizing Tooth Powder

I had been using my whitening toothpaste for months now, and I really like it. It cleans my teeth well, and I do feel the whitening is occurring (although it's not an instant fix by any means). However, I have very tightly packed teeth and cavities are always a concern for me, so I wanted to investigate a toothpaste that could help repair my enamel. I currently use a repairing mouthwash, but as that is also on my list of projects to tackle, I wanted to ensure I could still get the benefits.

Now, credit where credit's due, I took a lot of my recipe from Wellness Mama. She is associated with Lea Harris over at Using Essential Oils Safely, and I find her very reliable. However, I did find myself making some adjustments to her recipe. I never use Xylitol (or really most sweetener alternatives) because it is highly toxic to dogs and I don't want and chance of it being near my pets. I also choose not to use essential oils in my toothpaste because not all oils are suitable for kids and very few are suitable for ingestion (and while we all know you aren't supposed to swallow toothpaste, why risk it?). And finally I do not use cinnamon because it can actually cause gum problems (this doesn't affect everyone, but women are more susceptible so again, why risk it?.

Remineralizing Tooth Powder
1 tsp calcium powder
1 tsp bentonite clay
1/4 tsp diatomaceous earth
1/4 tsp activated charcoal
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground clove
1/4 tsp orange zest
1/4 tsp sea salt (or less to taste)
1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
4 drops trace minerals (optional)

This recipe will just about fill a 2oz jar. Mix everything together in a small bowl before transferring into your jar. For a powder, you will want to make sure your orange zest is dried or use a mortar and pestle to mix fresh zest more thoroughly (then let your powder dry a bit).

The cayenne pepper is optional. If you choose to add it, do only use a dash (very small amount). It can help numb any oral pain you may be having, but too much can also cause irritation so use sparingly if at all.

Toothpaste variation: add 1.5 Tbsp coconut oil (or a combo of coconut & sesame oil, which give a softer consistency). This will still fit perfectly in a 2 oz jar, or you can use a 2 oz squeeze container. If making a toothpaste, you can also use fresh range zest.

What sets this apart from my other toothpaste?
If you checked out my other recipe, I'm sure you noticed it seems I've mostly added ingredients and swapped out the flavoring. That is partially true, I've made additions to help rebuild the minerals in my teeth, but the "flavors" each have their own purpose as well. Here's a quick rundown of the new ingredients:

Diatomaceous Earth is an abrasive (and tends to be more abrasive than the other ingredients, so you can always leave it out especially if using baking soda), but it also contains trace minerals and silica which help with remineralization.

Calcium Magnesium Powder is integral to the remineralization process. Calcium, as we know, benefits bones (and teeth!), and the magnesium is what helps the calcium to be properly absorbed.

Trace Minerals are also a big part of the remineralization process and can help restore tooth enamel. They are recommended if you drink things like reverse osmosis water (which removes all the bad stuff, but also all the good stuff).

Clove has been historically associated with oral care due to it's antimicrobial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. It is also known to sooth oral pain specifically, from small wounds to toothaches.

Orange has been known to remove surface stains and can help with teeth whitening (we use it in homemade cleaners, so imagine what it does for your teeth). It also helps freshen your breath and soothes sensitivity.

Cayenne offers pain relief with a warming, numbing sensation. It is also known to relieve gum inflammation. However, be careful, as too much capsaicin can cause irritation (or if you are allergic like me, worse). Even though I have a topical allergy, I find a small dash does not cause me discomfort.

Sesame Oil is another oil traditionally used for oil pulling, but it's main purpose in this recipe is to help with the texture as coconut oil will harden while your toothpaste sits in your cabinet.

No comments:

Post a Comment