Thursday, June 21, 2018

DIY Hair Conditioner

So we've already covered a spray-in conditioner, but to go with my shampoo recipe, I wanted a conditioner to use in the shower as part of my routine. Apple Cider Vinegar is a great conditioner just on it's own, but you can also infuse it with herbs to get all kinds of extra benefits. Today's post will consist of 3 different options for you, each improving on the one before it.

ACV Hair Rinse
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 qt water

Mix these together at the time of your shower and just pour over your hair after rinsing out your shampoo. I've seen other bloggers recommend equal parts ACV and water (at 1/4 cup to 2/3 cup each, depending on the length and thickness of your hair), but you really don't need that much ACV. I also find diluting it in a quart of water gives you ample liquid to fully saturate your hair.

You don't need to rinse this out either. You can follow-up with an all water rinse if desired, but it's not necessary. Don't worry if you smell a bit like ACV, it will dissipate quickly (and frankly, you are the only one who will notice until it does).

ACV Herbal Hair Rinse
1 quart apple cider vinegar (the kind with the mother)
1 cup herbs of choice (Wellness Mama has a great herb combo)
water

Combine herbs and vinegar in a large jar and secure cover. Infuse for about 4 weeks in a cool, dark place. Shake every other day or so, then strain through cheesecloth.

When you are ready to use your herbal rinse, dilute approximately 2 Tbsp infused vinegar in 1 quart water (or whatever ratio works best for you, up to equal parts). You can leave in as your final rinse or follow with an all-water rinse.

I have found that this has a very herby/earthy scent. If you want something a little more pleasing, you could add essential oils to your finished product. Personally, I have not tried this out but would say 45-50 drops of scents pleasing to you (or complimentary to the herbs you choose) should be sufficient. I would likely use equal parts lavender, lemongrass, and rosemary as they are all beneficial to hair and would be inline with the herbs I use as well as the scent for my dry shampoo.



What herbs do I use?
Wellness Mama and I actually have a lot of overlap between the herbs I prefer and what she recommends (I pretty much just sub lemongrass for basil). I will let you visit her blog for her recommendations & amounts, or you can peruse this list and decide which herbs and how much of each you want to use:

Horsetail strengthens your hair and also can help control oily hair thanks to its astringent properties.

Nettle is full of vitamins and minerals that will nourish and improve scalp health, as well as make your hair stronger and more vibrant.

Basil nourishes your scalp, promotes hair growth, and helps remove toxins and heavy metals.

Lavender is great for mixed skin types and will moisturize dry skin as well as calm inflammation. This also aids in controlling dandruff. It increases circulation which promotes hair health and growth.

Rosemary helps control sebum production, especially beneficial for oily hair and to aid in controlling dandruff from dry and itchy scalps. It also affects circulation promoting hair health and growth. It's slightly astringent properties strengthen hair follicles which helps prevent hair loss.

Lemongrass is an effective cleaner and deodorizer. It also soothes irritated and itchy scalps helping to reduce dandruff, as well as promotes general hair health and growth.

Slippery Elm Bark stimulates hair growth, softens hair (provides slip and glide), and soothes the scalp.

Marshmallow Root has the same benefits as slippery elm, but also adds shine to lackluster locks.


ACV Cream Rinse

2 Tbsp coconut oil
2 Tbsp shea or cocoa butter
1 Tbsp beeswax (or BTMS-50 emulsifying wax)

1/2 c apple cider vinegar (raw or infused)
1/2 c water
1/2 c coconut milk
1/2 - 1 tsp xanthum gum (depending on desired consistency)




For those of you that prefer a cream rinse, I did some experimenting. Shea butter and coconut oil are both known for their moisturizing properties, which are not only limited to the skin (and in fact are both present in the commercial conditioner I used to buy). And combined, they make a wonderful body butter, so I decided to start with that base and add the ACV rinse until I got a consistency I was happy with.

To make this cream rinse, you will need to start by melting your coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax in a double boiler. While those are melting down, whisk together your liquids and xanthum gum. The xanthum helps the liquids mix into the fats.

Just like a body butter, let your oil mixture cool slightly, until it just starts to solidify (if you poke your finger into it, it should make a dent). Before your mixture solidifies completely, take out your hand mixer or immersion blender and start whipping to form a body butter like consistency. Slowly pour in you liquid mixture and continue whipping until fully incorporated and you have an even texture throughout (it will be like an emulsified dressing).

Use as you would commercial conditioner. I use about a quarter sized amount and work through the length of my hair, focusing more on the ends and less on the roots/scalp. Rinse with water.

I find this conditioner very moisturizing, so I don't use it for each wash. About once per month (I only wash my hair 2-3 times per week, so every 8-10th wash; if you wash your hair daily you might be able to use this as frequently as once per week) is enough for me, and it gives my locks some new life.

Humblebee & Me also has a good looking 2-in-1 formula. I haven't tried it out, but it did provide some inspiration for my cream rinse recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment