Thursday, June 7, 2018

Laundry Detergent Revisted

It's been a while since I posted my original laundry soap recipe, and I've made some adjustments since then. Primarily, I chose to remove the Borax. Now, this isn't for health concerns, as the current debate on Borax may suggest, but because I found that Borax created a film or barrier on my clothing. Oil spots were not getting cleaned, and eventually over time (I'm talking 6-12 months or even years) some items had a noticeable film. They just didn't feel clean anymore, so I decided to revamp my recipe to remove the Borax. I also swapped out the Fels-Naptha for straight up castille soap. This is two fold. I didn't exactly like the scent that came with the Fels-Naptha, and it's not exactly a natural alternative (this soap includes extra chemicals). I also like knowing that, should I become that adventurous, I could make my own castille soap to use in this recipe.

DIY Laundry Soap - Redux

1 bar castille soap (5 oz)
3 c washing soda
1 c Oxyclean (or more washing soda)
1 c baking soda
30 drops essential oil (optional)

Make sure to finely grate or chop your soap. I found that freezing it for 30-60 minutes and using a food processor to be very effective, but you could use a grater or other method. Mix all ingredients together and store in an air tight container. If using essential oils, make sure to mix in well before storing, so that the oils are evenly distributed and your soap does not clump. My personal preference for essential oils are lavender and sandalwood, but choose whatever you enjoy the scent of or find relaxing (a great choice for bedding).

Use 1 Tbsp per load. This recipe is great for top load, front load, and HE washers (I've actually tested it in all 3). For a simple, green fabric softener use vinegar in the washer as you would liquid fabric softener, or add some wool balls to your dryer (either option can be scented using essential oils as well!). You could also make a dryer sheet by soaking a small cloth or rag in vinegar and throwing that into the dryer with your clothes.

Stripping your clothes
Wait what? Didn't removing the borax solve the problem of creating a film or layer on the material? Yes and no. Borax was the big culprit for me, but ultimately you are still using a soap. Soaps can leave films. Commercial detergents are just that, detergents (not soap). You may also just be dealing with hard water and all the sediment that comes with it. So, every now and then you may still find some build up on your clothing that you will want to remove.

Basically, you'll soak your clean clothes in hot water with a stripping solution. You can buy one or make your own. Most DIY stripping solutions are equal parts washing soda and borax. Some include (or simply just are) dish washing soap like the blue Dawn. Soak your clothes 45-60 minutes, stirring a few times. Drain and squeeze out excess water. Run your clothes through a water only wash cycle to remove any remaining solution, dirt, and oils.

No comments:

Post a Comment