Monday, December 15, 2014

Infused Vodka: 2 Weeks

The tastes have changed a bit, and we are making a few more changes again... 

The sour apple is pretty good. I felt it was a bit less smooth (found a lemon seed in there, which could be the culprit of a little bitterness). M agreed it could be more tart and also would like some more apple flavor. We are also starting to collect a bit of sediment in the jar (at least partly from segmenting tiny citrus, but the amount has increased). We are draining it and adding in new green apple. Just one this time to give it a little extra boost. I am also juicing 1 lime to add some sour/tart (no segmenting or zesting this time).

The cucumber melon is coming along. The melon flavor is stronger, and the taste smoother. It has definitely picked up some sweetness, but the cucumber flavor is still pretty strong. I am draining this one as well (mostly because there is no room for anything else, but also to tame down the cucumber flavor) and putting in a new half melon along with the juice of 1 lime and about 1 tablespoon of honey. I'm getting a little closer to my smoothie recipe now, but these flavors highlight the melon. You will notice no mint (I don't want to risk adverse bitterness from leaves).

The FINAL test will be at Saturday night's party. I am going to let the flavors sit as long as possible before giving both jars a good straining, probably a couple of them actually. I want to get them rebottled early enough to chill them, which causes a few complications but I am thinking Saturday morning or afternoon will give me the time I need. 

Check back next Monday for the final verdict and what my starting points will be for these flavors when we try them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment