Thursday, May 17, 2018

DIY Shampoo

Dry shampoo is great, but every now and then you need a good cleaning (or at least I do, with my current routine I can only go about 3 days between washes). I haven't hopped on the no-poo wagon completely because I did not like the baking soda method, and after about 3 days my dry shampoo just doesn't cut it anymore...my hair starts feeling oily and heavy from all the dry shampoo still in it. While I can (and sometimes do) rinse out my dry shampoo, there are days when I just need a good clean.
Commercial shampoos are full of all sorts of chemicals, but making your own is not that easy. I've been testing out shampoos for a few months now, and finally have a formula I am happy with. Even though thee ingredient list is natural, it's not short. Granted, you likely could use liquid castille soap (either straight up or diluted with water), but you can add ingredients to help renourish your hair after stripping all the dirt, grime, and oils.

Homemade Shampoo
1/2 cup liquid castille soap
1/3 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vitamin E oil
1 tsp jojoba or castor oil (I do half & half)
1 Tbsp honey
1-4 Tbsp herbs (optional)

Steep herbs in hot water for about 30 minutes (if using). Strain water into bottle and add remaining ingredients. Gently rotate the bottle to mix completely (if you shake too hard, you will cause foam in  the bottle.

This shampoo will be very liquidy. It is not the same consistency as commercial shampoo. When using this formula, I recommend using a squeeze bottle and gently squeezing out a small amount directly onto your scalp. I tend to do this in a few different locations to help me get even distribution.

This formula makes about 10 oz of shampoo. I have shoulder length hair and with fairly regular washing (about every other day), this amount has lasted me about 2 months.

Why herbs?
You can steep the herbs in water and get some extra benefits for your shampoo. They also add some scent. My herbs of choice are 1 Tbsp lavender, 1/2 Tbsp rosemary, and 1 bag Tazo Zen tea (green tea with lemongrass). Lemongrass is an effective cleaner and deodorizer. Rosemary is said to be good for people with oily hair as it helps control sebum production. Lavender is good for people with mixed skin types and moisturizes dry skin. All 3 are known to sooth irritated/itchy scalps which will reduce dandruff. Green Tea helps prevent hair loss and improves shine. All 4 are also said to have properties that will promote hair health & growth.

This recipe has a very herby/earthy smell. If that is unpleasing to you, you could try adding essential oils. I have not personally done this yet, but I would say 10-15 drops of scents you find pleasing (or scents that compliments your herbs) should be sufficient. I would likely use equal parts lavender, lemongrass, and rosemary as they are all beneficial to hair and would be inline with the herbs I use as well as the scent for my dry shampoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment