Thursday, October 4, 2018

Pest Control: Mosquitoes

Ants aren't the only pests that plague my home. This summer it's been hard to enjoy a day outside without getting eaten alive by mosquitoes and other biting bugs. My favorite commercial product is All Terrain Herbal Armor, but being a DIYer I've done the footwork to identify some effective methods you can whip up yourself.

1. Home Made Bug Spray
May favorite recipe is UEOS Tick Off/Bug Off. I made some adjustments because patchouli is not a favored scent int his house, so we used the cedar wood Lea recommends. I also scrapped the hydrosols all together (they are pricey and I had to accommodate a lavender allergy), so I just used equal parts water & witch hazel.

2. Mosquito Repelling Garden
There are a ton of plants that will deter mosquitoes and other biting bugs. If you have a green thumb (I sadly do not), you may want to make a small garden to keep the bugs away. I've always wanted to use railing planters around my deck to keep it bug free. There are a ton of plants to choose from, but some of my favorites are:
  • chrysanthemum
  • melissa (lemon balm)
  • catnip
  • citronella
  • gernaium
There are quite a few others as well, that are really common and you may find them in your herb garden or regular flower bed:
  • petunias
  • basil
  • lavender 
  • marigold
  • rosemary
  • mint
  • alliums (garlic, chives, onions, etc)
  • lemongrass
  • lemon thyme
A lot of these plants keep other pests away too.

3. Candles/Torches
You are probably well aware of citronella candles & tiki torches. You can use store bought ones, or make your own candles, torches & luminaries to keep the bugs away. My favorite is the luminary from A Little Claireification which looks pretty, smells great, and is effective at keeping the bugs away.

4. Smudging
Smoke generally will keep the bugs away, but there are some specific items you can add to your fire to improve the effect:
  • cardboard egg cartons
  • sage
5. Natural Predators
Encourage a habitat for natural predators of mosquitoes. Hang bird feeders & bat houses to invite them into your yard. If you have a pond, add some fish, turtles, or frogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment