Saturday, February 16, 2013

Swatching and Prepping

One of my orders is supposed to include a tunisian blanket, but due to my customer upping her original deadline by two months, I am unable to do the blanket as I usually would (light/fingering yarn and a size H hook). I am testing out two larger hook sizes (K and L) with heavier yarn (Aran).
I personally prefer the L hook (top of swatch). The stitches are a tad larger, but not so much that it looks loose or sloppy. This difference does make the fabric more pliable. The K hook (bottom of swatch) is a little tighter, but not so much that I think it particularly looks neater, plus this tightness makes the fabric rather stiff. Tunisian blankets tend to feel a bit dense, but I don't want it feeling solid.

I am really hoping she picks the L hook fabric as it is about 2 stitches wider and 1 row taller than the K swatch (both sections are 10 stitches wide by 9 rows tall...K produces a fabric 3x2.5 inches and L produces a fabric 3.375x2.75 inches) Over the course of the entire blanket this cuts down quite a bit of time.

36x36 inch blanket on K:
120 stitches x 130 rows
15600 stitches total

Difference: 2974 stitches
Equivalent of 25 L rows
(work/time I could save using L)             
36x36 inch blanket on L:
107 stitches x 118 rows
12626 stitches total

Difference: 2974 stitches
Equivalent of 28 L rows
(work/time I would add using K)

We will see what the client thinks. Either way I need to order a new hook, so hopefully she chooses soon so that my hooks arrive in time to ship this out for a March 16 delivery.

No comments:

Post a Comment