Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Laundering Hand Knits

About a year ago, I made a post titled "Caring for Hand Knits" which went over the basics of how to wash, dry, and store your hand knit items. I collected this information from a variety of sources and personal experience. At multiple points, I mentioned information that you would find on your yarn label (if you are a crafter yourself), and/or that I would pass along to you (if you are a customer).

I thought now would be a good time to review my yarn care post, and revisit the issue by sharing with you the information you would find on your yarn label (or on your Handmade by Caitlin label). This image comes from Lion Brand Yarns and summarizes their universal care labels, however you will likely find these are very similar symbols on other yarn brand labels and even clothing tags.


Should you purchase an item from me, I am currently in the practice out writing out these instructions for all non-acrylic fibers instead of putting symbols on your labels. However, this is useful information to have, and as the shop continues to pick up speed procedures may change over time to make things more efficient on the production end.

Do keep in mind, these are general guidelines about what should be OK to do when laundering your items. I also recommend against bleaching and ironing all hand knits and exercising extra care and caution (e.g. always use gentle cycle, no hot water, do not dry on high) when laundering as even sturdy yarn still makes for a more delicate item than one bought at a store.

No comments:

Post a Comment