Monday, August 12, 2013

Cucumber Melon Smoothies

Yes, I have become slightly obsessed with smoothies. As I mentioned before, I am just not a breakfast person so these are a great compromise for me getting something in my stomach to kick start my metabolism first thing in the morning. Yes you can just search the internet, and I often do, but I like to record my favorites. I also see that a lot of recipes make large smoothies, and I am aiming at a 12-16 oz serving size. Plus I love stuff I can prep in advance to save time later (especially when I am still waking up!). Hopefully you find my sharing this with you helpful n_n

Shopping List:
1 honeydew melon
1 english cucumber
1 bunch mint
lime juice
honey
          Per packet:
1/2 c honeydew
1/4 c cucumber
6 mint leaves
1 Tbsp lime juice
1/2 Tbsp honey

This resulted in 8 packets. I split the cucumber and melon into eighths, but the amounts per packet were pretty spot on. The only thing I had leftovers of was the mint--I used a little over half. Depending on the size lime juice and honey you buy, you will probably have leftovers of these as well. I just used honey I had on hand, and bought one of those little bulb bottles of lime juice which didn't have much left when I was done.

Even though this is more of a delicately flavored smoothie, I included the flax and almond butter anyway. You could taste the almond butter, but it was subtle enough to not ruin the flavor of the smoothie. This is also probably one of the most refreshing smoothies I have made! It is great for sipping on while chilling on the porch on a warm summer day. I feel like this well become more of a snack than a breakfast for me n_~


I definitely prefer sandwich bags. My packets are at most 2 cups of fruit and greens, but I like the extra room because I can lay the bags flat and the fruits and greens can spread out and don't make huge clumps when they freeze (which works much better in the blender).

I have also found I need to upgrade blenders. I was using my mom's GE 12 oz single serving blender, but I find I need a little more room to get all the frozen fruit to blend nicely (I particularly had problems with the Tropical Green smoothie). So I have invested (kind of..it was only $14) in the Hamilton Beach single serve blender which holds about 16 oz and gives that extra room I need for blending.

Now that I've bombarded you with a month of smoothies, what are your favorites? Do you eat them for breakfast, snacks, or other meal replacements? What about those of you who are lactose-intolerant, gluten free, or vegan? Share your favorites and suggestions in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I do love this smoothie, but I find it to be a tad less filling than the others, so today I tried adding half a banana. I was a little afraid of this because as I mention above, the cucumber melon flavor is very delicate. It does mute the flavors a bit, particularly of the mint and lime (although I personally thought the mint might have been too strong, and my sister thought the lime was a bit strong), but it still tastes pretty good and is much more filling this way! It's a bit more like a meal than a refreshing snack now though...

    ReplyDelete