Monday, September 9, 2013

Lemon Raspberry Pie

Back in May, my sister's friend made a wonderful Lemon Raspberry Pie for her birthday. After weeks, maybe even months, of not hanging out some of my girlfriends and I decided to get together for dinner last Wednesday. I thought it would be a fun treat to bring dessert, so I decided to try and duplicate that pie.
I used a short bread crust recipe that I found on All Recipes. There was a little bit left over, so I got about 9 cookies out of it as well. This shortbread is delicious! I highly recommend it.
my first (somewhat blind) attempt
after I broke down and went to the store for more raspberries and a lemon
For the rest of the pie, I followed a recipe I found at Very Best Baking. I'm not quite sure this is the recipe my sister's friend used, but it sounded very similar. It also tastes very similar. In hindsight I probably could have asked her, but after some googling I found a bunch of almost identical recipes and I know she found it online so...that was that! The only thing I did different was use raspberry preserves that had seeds and left out the lemon zest (because I bought the supplies before looking up recipes...I know, bad form >.<).

A had a few hiccups...not quite enough Cool Whip as I was using leftovers from a 16oz tub I bought earlier this summer, and the raspberries I bought on Sunday had already started to go bad by Tuesday! This was the most disappointing. I only had about half my container, so I broke them apart to better cover the bottom of the crust, and I set aside 6 small ones for decorating the top. The Cool Whip situation was easily overcome by making a thin topping and not quite going to the edges which gave a nice yellow perimeter from the lemon cream.

I wanted to do the scalloped crust, but my pie plate has no lip so there wasn't even a way for me to attempt and fail (although Susann says it is super easy as you basically pinch and pull the peak while pushing in the V).

The results were just as delicious as I remember, if not quite as fancy looking n_n
Susann's Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment