Wednesday, September 18, 2013

So many projects!

As I mentioned Friday, I ran out of time for designing and making the Curious George plush and toddler sized yellow hat. However, that doesn't mean I've been doing nothing all this time n_~

Last week I completed the Paw Print Beanie and Roller Skates gift set. It turned out pretty darned cute, if I do say so myself. The person that ordered the set just loves it--I can't wait to hear the reaction of the person she is gifting it to!

I am also finishing up my donation items for Three Strikes for Sean. This is a local fundraiser trying to help raise the money needed for his extensive doctor visits, treatment, and medications. A group shot of the donation coming soon, but in the meantime here is a collage:

I am also still working on that turtle plush (sadly no progress pictures yet). He isn't even done, and I already have a duplicate order request! So once this little guy gets assembled, I will be making another one in all greens! 

Since the Curious George set was not going to happen in time for this Saturday, I had to come up with another gift. I mentioned Friday I have been obsessed with dinosaurs. I changed things around a bit and now I am making a dinosaur play mat with some plush dinos (from Planet June's Dinosaurs Set 1). I am very excited about the mat, and am buying the fabric tonight after work. I will be a circular mat that plays on colors and textures:
  • the ocean will be blue satin because it is smooth
  • the beach will be tan felt because sand is soft but has a texture
  • the beach will also have a felt cave for the dinos
  • the grass will be green fleece because it is tall and fluffy like grass
    (and less messier than faux fur, which I also considered)
  • the grass will also have a crocheted palm tree
  • the rocky mountain are will be brown canvas because it is stiff like rock
  • the mountain area will also have a crochet volcano, complete with lava

I haven't decided yet if the terrain features should be secured to the mat. The cave should be, but we will see how placement of the tree and volcano work out. They might have velcro to keep them in place, but also allow for ease of packing.

I am rather happy with my plans for packing up the play mat. I want to make a white backing for the mat, which will also function as the outside, that looks like an egg shell. There will also be a drawstring that runs around the mat--it will lay flat on the mat when it is in play, but it will allow you to cinch the whole mat up into a bag and function as a handle for clean-up or transportation.

I haven't figured out the size yet, so will be overcompensating when I buy fabric. If there is enough left over, I may be making a second play mat for the shop! I feel like George and a child's yellow hat may also be showing up sometime in the future, if not ready-made then available to order at least n_n



No comments:

Post a Comment