Wednesday, June 12, 2013

General Sizing: Infant Footwear

I realize that providing sizes like 0-3 months and 6-9 months can be rather arbitrary. Babies don't always fit into their "size" as dictated by their age. I do try to give you the most accurate sizing information possible, including the measurements as well as the expected age range they encompass. For example:


However, there have been occasions where I've gotten a request for a certain size and got feedback that a larger size was in fact needed. I am more than happy to accommodate these requests, but to help you figure out what size to be ordering, I put together this list*:

0-3 months3.25-3.75 inches8.26-9.53 centimeters
3-6 months3.50-4.00 inches8.89-10.16 centimeters
6-9 months4.00-4.50 inches10.16-11.43 centimeters
9-12 months4.25-4.75 inches10.80-12.07 centimeters
12-18 months4.50-5.00 inches11.43-12.70 centimeters
18-24 months5.00-5.50 inches12.70-13.97 centimeters

This is an approximation, but I try to follow this list as best I can when posting items. You will notice the ranges overlap. Usually the first number is what the piece measures flat, and the second is slightly stretched. Otherwise, the piece is falling within that range when flat and slightly stretched.

On occasion I may just post one size instead of a range (e.g 18 months). This is usually when the yarn I use is less elastic, so the item will not stretch significantly enough to get a range.

I'll give you a quick break-down of how I measure footwear:

  • Booties are laid flat and measured toe to heel and sized according to my list above. The ankle circumference is measured with the cuff slightly stretched out (especially if the cuff is ribbed).
  • Barefoot sandals are laid flat with the ankle strap slightly stretched and are measured from toe loop to strap and sized according to my list above. The ankle circumference is measured by doubling the width across the top of the sandal.


*You can order by size or provide the actual measurements of your child's feet. If you find measuring your child's feet difficult (which is understandable, they can be quite squirmy) or are ordering for someone else's child, you can measure a sock or bootie that already fits or use my chart above to estimate what size you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment