Monday, July 22, 2013

Banana Berry Smoothie Packets

Breakfast smoothies have become my go to. They keep me nice and full until lunch, they are healthy, and they kick start my metabolism. As any nutritionist or trainer will tell you, breakfast is a very important meal. However, I am not a breakfast person at all so this is my compromise.

I shared some of my recipes a while back, comparing my lactose free protein shake with a commercial one. This is just how things have evolved since that post in my kitchen. What's great about preparing these packets is 1. you just have to mix with your base (in my case, soy milk, almond butter & flax seed, but you could do water, milk, even throw in some protein shake mix) and 2. you do not need to add ice! I have upgraded to ALL THE BERRIES, so that is the breakdown I will give you.

Shopping List:
1 pint strawberries
6 oz raspberries
6 oz blackberries
6 oz blueberries
4 bananas
          Per packet:
3 strawberries, quartered
7-10 raspberries
7-10 blackberries
10 blue berries
1/2 banana, sliced

In dividing up the strawberries, I had enough to make 7 packets. From there I split up the raspberries and blackberries until there were none left, so the number I give you is more of an approximation. The blueberries I did actually count out 10 per packet, and I had a handful of them left (although not for long, as my dog thinks they are delicious and ate them all...after of course rolling them around the kitchen floor and chasing them.) I also ended up with 1/2 banana left over, but depending on the size of your strawberries you may be able to get an 8th packet out of them.


I used snack sized ziploc bags for these. The fruit just barely fit into the bags. It was also 1 solid block of frozen fruit when I took it out to make my smoothie, so I had to break it up in order to get the blender to mix everything. I would have gone with sandwich bags, but I did not discover we were out until I was about to bag all my cut up fruit. In the future I will use them to avoid this ice chunk and recommend you do too n_n

Now to start exploring more smoothie options. I hear some good think about some mango or pineapple smoothie involving spinach and kale...wonder how well I can freeze up those packets?

No comments:

Post a Comment