Wednesday, July 17, 2013

How Long Will my Custom Order Take?

While I will always give you an estimate upon placing your order, I realize for some of you it may be easier to have a general idea instead of spending a few days messaging back and forth while you try to determine what items you want and whether they can be completed within your time frame. So this post is a general guideline for how long individual items may take. I will give you what information I can to help you see how that time changes in a gift set too, but please always feel free to reach out to me if you have questions about crafting time before finalizing your order.

Footwear

Barefoot Sandals are a very quick project for me. Turn around time is 1 day as long as I have the colors on hand. However, this does not mean you should expect 1 day per pair if you are ordering more than one. I can easily get through 3 pairs a day, and I have been able to pull off 6 in a day before (although I will admit I worked on them pretty much all day).

Booties have a slightly more varying turn around, but I will try to get as specific as possible...

Plain cuffed booties usually take about 1 day. If you want an image on them, the time ups to 2 days. Your typical time quote will be 1-2 days regardless of style just to give myself a buffer.

Mary Janes and simple sneakers take 1-2 days. Usually I can pull off 1 pair in a day, but it will take all day for me if Monday-Friday, and if I have other projects I like to give myself that 1 day buffer. If you want flowers or other adornments on the Mary Janes or for the sneakers to be Converse (or another logo) then it definitely takes the full 2 days, and if in conjunction with other orders (which I will inform you of, and you can always check on my current orders) it may possibly take 3 until I can ship.

Ice Skates and Cleats take about 2 days. If you add on logos or a lot of color changes, there is a possibility of the time upping to 3 days. Basically simple ice skates and cleats take 2 days, complicated designs average 3 days.

Roller skates take the longest. I have to make 8 wheels, and while they are tiny they take a bit of time. For roller skates I always give myself at least 3 days, sometimes I need 4 if I have other projects going on or my day job has gotten particularly crazy. Normally I will give you an estimate of 3-5 days just to cover myself, but always mention your time frame to me as I will do my very best to accommodate your needs.

Headwear

Headbands can be done within a day as long as I have the bases on hand (which I usually do). At most you will wait 2 days until shipping so that I can acquire materials.

Hats, like booties, vary by style...

Simple beanies take about 1 day. If they are relatively plain, I can usually get two of them done in one day. If you want an image on the hat, it ranges from 1-2 days depending on complexity. If you ordered more than 1 adorned beanie, I would quote you at 1 day per hat.

Specialty hats honestly range in time by design. I did a toddler hat that had a interchangeable cubs logo/flower to attach which took about 3 days. The flower bonnets typically only take 1 day, sometimes 2 in order to get to the flower due to my schedule being busy. The derby helmet took 2 days, but day 2 was mostly figuring out the logo and making it look correct. I guess to give you an estimate, I would say specialty infant hats will be estimated at 1-3 days.

Clothing

Clothing gets a little less precise. I can give you an estimate by project, but to just list general guidelines is a bit tricky. Some clothing is lacey or made with thicker yarn so it goes faster. Other clothing is very solid, or long, or complicated, or uses thin yarn so it will take longer. I can give you some projects I have worked on in the past and how long they took to try and help though:

Dresses
A lacey newborn dress took me 1 day. A solid tunic length 12 month dress took me 1 week. A solid knee length 5T dress took me 2 weeks.

Tops
I made a caped sleeve cardigan for a newborn and it only took 1 day. I would say this is a pretty fair estimate for short sleeves, and I would probably quote you at 2 days for long sleeves.

Bottoms
I honestly have sewn all my skirts so far and have yet to do pants. I have done a pair of overalls, but it was a personal project not an order and as such kept getting put on the back burner.  I believe it took me about a day for each leg...Given that I would quote you at 1 day for diaper covers, shorts and short skirts. I would quote 2 days for longer skirts and pants (up to 12 months, beyond that we may be looking at an additional day). For overalls or a jumper I would quote 2-3 days.

Cocoons
Are cocoons outfits or blankets? I never know how to categorize them... I think I have been lumping them in with clothes so far, so let's stick with that. The cocoon and matching hat set I made took 1 week.

Blankets

Receiving blankets will take minimal time. I would say approximately 3-5 days, mostly dependent on fabric acquisition. These are fairly simple and rather small blankets with minimal sewing and a crocheted border. If the fabric desired was on hand or easily attainable at a local store, it will only be 3 days.

A typical knit/crochet blanket takes about 2 weeks. Sometimes I can rush these and complete them in 1 week, especially if they are of a smaller/newborn size or simple design.

The regular tunisian blanket took me about 6-8 weeks to complete. These blankets unfortunately cannot be rushed too much. They are just simply a lot of work, as each row is worked twice. They are also worked with a finer yarn which means many more stitches.

However if you like the tunisian look but want the blanket faster, there is the large stitch tunisian blanket option. These blankets are made with a thicker yarn. They are a little more airy and less dense than the regular tunisian blanket, but they are still about as thick. However they can be worked up in about 4 weeks. Check out the post I made comparing the two a couple months ago to get a better idea what these differences mean.

Toys

Toys vary with complexity...

Generally speaking, small toys and rattles can be done in 1 day. I may quote you 2, and that is only to give myself time to acquire the rattle insert or sew the toy together if it is made in multiple pieces (which for infants I avoid as much as possible).

Medium toys generally take 2-3 days.

Large toys vary again, but unless they are overly complicated I would quote you at 5-7 days. If the toy is for an older child or adult, I can get more detailed and am more willing to make them in multiple parts. Toys of this nature could take 1-2 weeks depending on the complexity.

Notes

Non-Listed Colors
Normally I will include time to acquire materials in your original time quote. But to give you an idea, if the colors you request are listed in my available colors, then I have it on hand or can buy it/more of it at a local store. If you want another color, I am always happy to accommodate, but I will need to go out and purchase it. If I can find the colors you desire in a local store, it will only add about 1 day to your time. However, if I need to order the color online, as unfortunately happens with some colorways (I don't know why...but sometimes 1 store will carry a color on site, another online only, and another not at all!), your time will increase depending on how long shipping is. I can expedite shipping for supplies if necessary to meet your needs, but I may up your price just a tad to cover these expenses.

Tight Time Frames
If you find yourself in need of a product within a tight time frame, please let me know. The times I provide are the longest I expect something to take and usually have buffer time built in for random things like my day job becoming busy, a sick day, or overlapping projects. Some clients give me a lot of advance warning on their needs, so some of these projects can easily be set aside for rush orders. I can also adjust my schedule to make room for more crafting time.

Shipping Upgrades
If the time frame is very tight, I may ask you to pay extra for expedited shipping. However, if I guarantee your timeline and find myself falling behind, I will pay for the shipping upgrade to ensure you receive it on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment